Wenglish yn diflannu

Oes dadl eto?

Cymedrolwr: gronw

Rheolau’r seiat
Oes dyfodol i'r iaith Gymraeg? Pwyswch yma i ddarllen canllawiau cyffredinol maes-e.

Wenglish yn diflannu

Postiogan tommybach » Llun 01 Tach 2010 5:56 am

Rwy'n flin am y Saesneg ond mae gan y dyn 'ma pwynt teg

It's happened in the last 15-20 years in Wales, too - much to my chagrin. It's bad enough (from a personal perspective) that the Welsh language has declined, but to lose the way in which English is - was - spoken in these parts is doubly sad.

Much of it is pure affectation, evidence of which may be gleaned by the rather unique situation we have in Wales of bilingual sports commentators and presenters, who double up between the English-speaking BBC Wales television and the Welsh-speaking media (BBC Radio Cymru and the S4C television channel). When commentator "A" is speaking of the Argentine/Italian rugby players Felipe Contepomi and Mirco Bergamasco on BBC Cymru/S4C their names are pronounced with the typical Welsh (and authentic Latin) "flat vowels" and rolled R's: Felipeh Contepohmi and Meerrcoh Berrgamascoh. The same commentator, on the English-speaking media, reverts to the (inauthentic) "FelipAY ContepOWmi" and "MURcOW BURgamascOW". Ordinary people will dine on "behked potehtohs" and wash it down with "cohk" at "hohm", but when away from "hOWm" they'll order "bAYked potAYtOWs" and "cOWk".

I can understand those who've lived away from home for a considerable time acquiring their adopted accent over many years, but I'm talking about those who seldom set foot outside where they were born (except for holidays) developing an overnight "twang" or, worse, switching the way they speak from one accent to another to apparently sound "better". It's little more than a self-conscious denial of one's roots, which I find desperately sad.

Mae fy acen gref yn help mawr wrth ddysgu Cymraeg. Mae'r acen yn rhan hanfodol o fy hunaniaeth (Cymraeg a gwerinol). Mae gen i Mam nid Mum. Roedd Gwyn Alf yn llygaid ei le pan soniodd e am "a Costa Bureaucratica in the South and a Costa Geriatrica in the North, in between sheep, holiday homes burning merrily away and 50 folk museums where there used to be communities". Does 'na dim cymunedau yn bodoli pellach... dim ond Dic Sion Dafydds a pobl ar y sic. Dim obaith.

Mae'n rhaid i rywbeth newid. Newid sylfaenol yn ein meddylfryd cenedlaethol yng Nghymru. Annibyniaeth sydd angen.
Rhithffurf defnyddiwr
tommybach
Defnyddiwr
Defnyddiwr

Negeseuon: 43
Ymunwyd: Iau 01 Hyd 2009 11:32 pm

Re: Wenglish yn diflannu

Postiogan Ray Diota » Llun 01 Tach 2010 9:58 am

os chi'n nabod y cyfrannwr 'ma... p'idwch gadel e ar ben 'i hun, ma 'na risg neith e niwed i'w hunan!

paid becso boi, daw eto haul ar fryn!
iaaasu moses!
Rhithffurf defnyddiwr
Ray Diota
Defnyddiwr Aur
Defnyddiwr Aur

Negeseuon: 4570
Ymunwyd: Gwe 19 Rhag 2003 3:52 pm
Lleoliad: Bow Street: It's like armageddon!

Dychwelyd i Dyfodol yr Iaith

Pwy sydd ar-lein

Defnyddwyr sy’n pori’r seiat hon: Dim defnyddwyr cofrestredig a 7 gwestai